Queen and Palace face new racism scandal after Meghan and Harry’s allegations
Already reeling from suggestions of racism in Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan’s royal family, Buckingham Palace on Wednesday faced explosive new allegations of decades of systemic discrimination against people of color – and documents to support.
The Guardian, Britain’s left-wing newspaper and longtime leader of the Get Rid of the Monarchy, published a report stating that Queen Elizabeth II’s main courtiers have banned “immigrants of color or foreigners” from practicing work. office functions in the royal household until at least the late 1960s, according to documents the paper uncovered at the UK National Archives.
“(Documents reveal) how in 1968 the Queen’s Chief Financial Officer informed officials that” in fact it was not customary to appoint immigrants of color or foreigners “to office positions in the royal household, although they are allowed to work. as servants, ”The Guardian reported.
New type of royals: On third anniversary Harry and Meghan embrace revolutionized royal roles
During the same period, the highest positions advising the monarch were held predominantly by white, upper-class, or aristocratic men, many of whom were Oxbridge graduates and / or held high-ranking positions in the army.
The newspaper also reported that documents show that in the 1970s the Queen and her aides were able to negotiate with government officials to exempt the Royal Household from laws banning discriminatory hiring practices, which to this day prevent employees royals to sue for alleged discrimination at work. .
USA TODAY has asked Buckingham Palace to comment on the Guardian’s story.
The Guardian suggested that the news, coming after the quasi-national nervous breakdown in March about what Harry and Meghan said about racism in the family and the media in their interview with Oprah Winfrey, would surely “rekindle the debate over the British royal family and race. . “
Among other things, the Queen’s grandson, 36, and his biracial American wife, 39, claimed she had been the target of racism in media and social media, and that a member of the royal family had wondered about the color of her baby. skin.
In what might have been a coincidence, the news in The Guardian arrived on the same day that Buckingham Palace announced plans to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee next year marking her 70 years on the throne – a step without precedent for any British monarch.
Prince William and Duchess Kate:More gold for their 10th wedding anniversary
Initially, the palace refused to respond to The Guardian for its report. The palace later released a statement to E! News, suggesting that claims based on a “second hand account of conversations from over 50 years ago” may not be relevant to contemporary operations.
“The Royal House and the Sovereign comply with the provisions of the Equality Act, in principle and in practice,” the palace statement said. “This is reflected in the policies, procedures and practices for diversity, inclusion and dignity in the workplace within The Royal Household. Any complaint that may be raised under the law follows a formal process that provides a means to hear and remedy any complaint. “
After Harry and Meghan made their complaints public in a conversation with Winfrey, the palace waited two days to issue a generally cautious statement saying the couple’s accusations of racism and lack of support are taken “very seriously” and will be treated by the royal family “in private.”
“The whole family is saddened to learn how difficult the past few years have been for Harry and Meghan. The issues raised, in particular that of race, are cause for concern,” the statement said. “While some memories may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be treated by the family in private. Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of the family.”
Since then, the palace has remained silent. However, Harry’s brother Prince William, responding to a reporter’s question during an engagement days later, laconically said that the royal family is “really not a racist family.”
Prince Harry speaks out on mental health:Harry said he had transformed alcohol and drugs to face a ‘nightmare’ period in his life
Meanwhile Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, have been pilloried in Britain by the media, MPs and millions of Britons, according to multiple polls and a deluge of comments on social media. They declined to release a statement in response to the Guardian’s story about the National Archives documents.
The couple, who now live in California after relinquishing their royal roles to achieve greater financial independence and freedom, stunned a global audience three months ago by alleging that a member of the royal family they did not would not identify worried about the possible color of their mixture. -races baby’s skin.
They also claimed Meghan had become suicidal because of the pressure of being in the royal family, but was turned away when she sought help from the royal household.
Archie turns 2Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan post new photo, royal family pays tribute
But the Daily Mail tabloid, a leader in the campaign against Harry and Meghan after their explosive interview (and on the losing side of a privacy lawsuit filed by Meghan), was among the media that acknowledged the impact potential of the Guardian report.
“The discovery (of the documents) is likely to be embarrassing for the cabinet as it grapples with accusations of systemic racism” by Harry and Meghan, the Mail concluded on Wednesday.
He is also likely to amplify the Guardian’s campaign against the parliamentary mechanism known as ‘Queen’s Consent’, which allows the Crown to covertly lobby the government to change laws it does not favor or to exempt the Crown.
Republicans, like anti-monarchists are known in Britain, view this practice as non-transparent and unconstitutional, and have used it to argue that Britain should abolish the monarchy and elect its head of state.
Queen Elizabeth turns 95:Just days after the funeral of her husband, Prince Philip