Meghan and Harry set a clear ‘precedent’ for the Queen to follow for Andrew | Royal | News
Prince Andrew is currently the subject of a civil sexual assault case with accuser Virginia Guiffre. Ms Giuffre is suing the prince, claiming he sexually assaulted her when she was 17 and a minor in some US states. The Duke vehemently denies the allegations, but his ongoing legal battles have sparked speculation as to whether he should retain his titles and position in the future.
Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams spoke about The Duke of York’s titles on The Jeremy Vine Show.
Mr Fitzwilliams said: “I would have thought that in the event Andrew loses his title, maybe we are looking at a very different precedent but one that might work.
“When Harry and Meghan resigned as royals they were allowed to keep their HRH titles but were not allowed to use them.
“I would add though – he was attached to 230 charities – he still has ties to a lot of charities, there are those military ties, and there’s no doubt what everyone would think of those ties. royals, if he lost the case, would be inappropriate. “
JUST IN: Covid LIVE: Huge change in testing rules due as Boris prepares Cabinet update
He continued: “The problem is if he wins the case here is the difficulty, you had an interview about a car accident that so many people saw, where he showed absolutely no empathy for the victims. of Epstein, you have the fact that he was not only friends with Epstein, but now the convicted sex trafficker Ghislaine Maxwell.
“You also have the fact that so far he has not cooperated with the FBI – at least apparently not – when trying to locate Epstein’s accomplices.”
Prince Andrew has been the Duke of York since his marriage in 1986 to Sarah Ferguson, when the Queen presented the title to her second son.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle still pose as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, despite their resignation from the royal family.
READ MORE: Royal Family LIVE: Kate snubs Meghan with modest birthday plans after lavish Sussex move
Speculation over the Duke of York’s future has been rekindled again following the conviction of Epstein’s partner, Ghislaine Maxwell, last week.
The 60-year-old woman was convicted of five of the six charges she faced, the most serious of which was sex trafficking of a minor.
The verdict came after five full days of deliberation by a 12-person jury in New York City.
Maxwell reportedly showed no visible signs of emotion when reading the verdict last Wednesday, only pouring herself a glass of water which she sipped twice.
Annie Farmer, one of the women who testified against Maxwell, said: “I am so relieved and grateful that the jury recognized his pattern of predatory behavior.
“I hope this verdict will bring comfort to all who need it and demonstrate that no one is above the law,” she said.