Austrian man bitten by neighbor’s python while in toilet
A man in Austria was bitten by his neighbor’s python during a morning visit to the toilet, police said.
The 1.6-meter-long reptile had apparently escaped from the neighbor’s apartment and may have slipped down the sewers to the house next door.
According to a statement, the 65-year-old victim “felt a pinch in the genital area” shortly after sitting on the toilet at her home in Graz just after 6:00 am CEST.
He then looked in the toilet and discovered the albino reticulated python. The snake is said to have escaped unnoticed from the apartment of the man’s 24-year-old neighbor.
A reptile expert was called in to retrieve the snake, which was cleaned up and handed over to its owner, police in the province of Styria added.
Police said the man kept eleven non-venomous constrictor snakes and one gecko in his apartment, in terrariums and drawers. He is under investigation on suspicion of causing bodily harm through negligence.
The victim suffered only minor injuries and was examined in a hospital to rule out possible infection.
In July last year, a German was hospitalized after being bitten on the tongue by a snake during a bachelor party in the Austrian Alps.
Local authorities reported that the victim dared to touch the baby viper with his tongue by revelers, who may have mistaken the young snake for a worm.